Lemon Chicken Sandwich – With Feta Zaatar fries and lemon mustard yogurt
Let me start by telling you, it is practically impossible not to fall in love with these chicken sandwiches. I mean what’s not to love? Juicy lemony garlicky charred chicken, with garlic lemon yoghurt sauce and wait for it, my favorite way to eat fries, feta zaatar and Aleppo pepper fries. All of this wrapped in a warm pita or taboon bread, yummy!
Give me a good chicken sandwich on any given day, and I will happily take it. I have always had this problem as a kid, I always wanted sandwiches for breakfasts, lunches and dinners. This has paid off when I grew older as it meant that I became very serious about my sandwiches and pretty good at making them.
When making sandwiches, all parts and elements of a sandwich are equally important. This is why you will find more than a few things in my sandwiches. Everything is important, bread, spread, protein, veggies, cheese, everything is equally important.
I can’t really remember how this sandwich came to life. When we were kids, I have always loved French fries’ sandwiches, they were in every snack shop in Damascus and we loved them. Later, they started adding the fries to chicken shawarma sandwiches. Since then, I knew chicken and fries sandwiches are just meant to be, and this one is one of the best ever!
Let me break it down to you, amazingly good feta zaatar fries, lemon garlic chicken and soft Palestinian taboon bread (flat bread, similar to Indian naan), smothered with delicious yogurt tangy sauce, the perfect sandwich!
Let’s get cooking!
I start by marinating the chicken the night before to get the best results. However, if you don’t have time you can get away with not marinating it at all or only up to a few hours. Marinating the chicken with olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and spices makes it so tender, juicy and nothing but boring.
As for the fries, you can deep fry them, air fry them or even roast them, whatever is your preferred way of cooking them. I personally do all three depending on what I am craving and how much clean up I feel like doing. Then while the fries still very hot, mix them with crumbled feta cheese, dried zaatar, Aleppo peppers and black pepper. You will probably never have better tasting fries, ever.
The sauce is so light and starts with a base of yogurt, honey mustard, fresh garlic and lemon juice. This sauce makes the sandwich amazing! As for the bread, I use taboon bread, but any type of flat bread will do. Add parsley and fresh chilies and you will have a sandwich that everyone in my family dreams about.
Lemon Garlic Chicken Sandwiches – with Feta Zaatar fries and lemon mustard yogurt
- 4 bone in chicken breasts
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp paprika
- 4 medium sized potatoes cut into about 1 cm thick fries
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tbsp dried oregano/zaatar
- ½ tsp Aleppo pepper
Lemon yogurt sauce
- ½ cup yogurt
- 1 tbsp honey mustard
- 2 tbsp lemon
- 1 clove garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 4 pcs taboon bread
- Chili peppers
- Start by marinating the chicken by adding all ingredients under chicken in a roasting pan, cover and marinate in the fridge preferably overnight.
- Preheat oven to 220°C and cook for 30 – 35 mins or until chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile start preparing the fries, add oil to the bottom of a tray and place the tray in the oven for 10 – 15 mins. Add the chips to the tray and arrange them in single layer. Bake for 30 – 40 mins. Remove from the oven and toss with feta cheese, oregano, salt, pepper and Aleppo peppers.
- To make the yogurt sauce, stir all ingredients in a bowl.
- To serve, put chicken, fries, sauce, parsley and chili peppers in the warm bread and enjoy!