You know how sometimes you just simply crave a chocolate cake that is perfectly moist and dense but not really super sweet, well this is the one!
Seriously, I always have these cravings and have been to many bakeries and pastry shops that claim to make the best cakes, yet I always get disappointed by how sweet the cakes are.
This recipe might not be middle eastern nor the type of a recipe that gets passed on by my grandmother. However, it has been and for many years now my favorite chocolate cake recipe. I won’t be lying if I said it is my perfect chocolate cake. One of the many beauties of this cake is that it could simply be changed to a flourless (gluten free) version.
This recipe is part of a series of posts that Ayah and I are starting on the blog. Like I said these recipes will not necessarily be middle eastern, but they will be thoroughly tested, perfect classic recipes that are based on culinary education and many years of kitchen experience.
I prepared this one last week while I was home, and I can tell you that I really couldn’t take a picture of it while being sliced. It just vanished.
Let’s get that baked!
To get started preheat the oven to 170 C (330F), and grease your 18 cm square cake pan and dust with cocoa powder or cover with parchment paper.
For preparation, start by melting the chocolate in a microwave or a double boiler. Once the chocolate is melted add in the butter and mix using a rubber spatula till homogeneous.
Using a mixer with the whisk attachments, whip the eggs along with the sugar till it is fluffy and doubles in volume.
Add in the sifted flour and baking powder on two additions, and fold using a rubber spatula.
Finally, fold in the chocolate-butter mixture.
Pour in the cake pan and bake for 25 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool for 15 minutes in the pan before unmolding.
I have deiced to serve the cake cold, and as my mom is a big fan of berries I decided to decorate it with Chantilly (whipped cream) and berries. But this cake could be enjoyed warm as it is cold. You can simply serve the perfect cake with vanilla or berries ice cream on the side.
The Perfect Chocolate Cake
- 18 cm (7 inch) square cake pan
- 200 grams Dark chocolate (70% cocoa)
- 200 grams Butter unsalted
- 4 pcs Eggs
- 150 grams Sugar
- 60 grams Flour
- 5 grams Baking powder
- Take the eggs out of the chiller.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C, grease the cake pan and dust with cocoa powder.
- Cut the butter into small 10-20 grams cube.
- Mix the flour with baking powder and sift it.
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave or on a double boiler.
- Add the butter to the chocolate and mix till butter is melted and a homogeneous mixture.
- Using a Stand mixer, whisk the eggs with the sugar till fluffy and double in volume.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in the flour and baking powder gradually, on two additions.
- Fold in the chocolate and butter mixture with the eggs.
- Pour in the pan and bake for 25 minutes, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Leave the cake to cool for 15 minutes before removing from pan.