Don’t you just wish it is always tomato season? This time of the year tomatoes are so sweet and juicy, and I feel like I try to include them in every dish I make. Up until a few years back, I hated tomatoes, I know! Sometimes, I can’t believe it either. However, recently I figured out why I hated tomatoes most of my life. It is because tomatoes out of season, taste horrible and have a floury texture which I absolutely hated.
This means now is the perfect time to be doing this salad. I had twice already this week and been having it appearing constantly on my table for the past few weeks. It is so good on its own, but also perfect to accompany your BBQ or served next to your protein of choice.
To make this salad I used different types of grape and cherry tomatoes because it is what tasted best at the time. However, use whatever you have available, any variety of tomatoes at its peak season would taste brilliant in this salad.
Though the salad is simple, the flavors are anything but. Allowing the tomatoes to marinate for half an hour or so, gives this dish a depth of flavor like no other. Not to mention that adding the salt feta and the crunchy pita bread will add to the burst of flavors in this salad.
Start by cutting the tomatoes into your desired shape. I left some whole, I halved some and quartered the larger ones, so it is up to you. Then prepare the marinade, which is truly magical and can be used as a vinaigrette for any salad. So, what is this marinade? Olive oil, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, basil, garlic, chili peppers and salt and pepper. I don’t add a lot of chili peppers and they are totally optional, but they add a nice hint of heat.
You can totally stop at this point and use this salad for literally everything, like a topping for bruschetta, spooning it over grilled chicken, or served as a salad next to your frittata. It is literally everything you would need tomatoes to be.
While the tomato is marinating, prepare the bread. Cut pita bread into bite size squares. Drizzle with a touch of olive oil and sprinkle with ½ tsp sumac. Then allow them to toast in the oven. Add feta cheese and fresh zaatar leaves, or wild oregano and you will have the best tomato salad you have ever had!
Marinated Tomato Salad
- 500 g tomatoes your favorite variety
- 10 basil leaves finely chopped
- 1 small garlic clove minced
- ½ small green chili finely chopped
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pita bread cut into bite size squares
- ½ tsp sumac
- ¼ cup basil leaves chopped
- ½ cup fresh zaatar leaves or wild oregano
- 100 g cubed feta cheese
- Toss tomatoes, minced garlic, basil, chili, olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, and salt & pepper together in a bowl.
- Allow to marinate in the fridge for at least 1 hour and up to a few hours.
- Sprinkle pita squares with sumac and toast in the oven.
- After marinating the tomato for at least an hour, add feta cheese, basil leaves, fresh zaatar leaves and the toasted pita to the salad. Toss them with the marinated tomatoes and serve at room temperature.